Saturday, April 14, 2007

Being a Candidate In 2007!


I have been involved in politics all my adult life. My very first experience was with Lyndon B.Johnson for U.S.Senate campaign in Austin as a college student. I learned so much from him and how to run a campaign. I participated in other campaigns as a volunteer for the next 30 or so years. I managed John Price's first campaign for Constable we lost by five votes. I worked on Ora Watson's campaign for school board she won and we only had thee workers all volunteers. I then managed John Price's campaign for Commissioner a couple of times. I ran for school board and got 660 votes lost to incumbent Hollis Brasher . I knew my chance was slim but I ran anyway. I was so sick and tired of tax money being spent in Federal Court that I had to get the message out. I won y because the new board approved the request for removal from Federal Court over site.

Back in the day I did not allow anyone to come into our campaign office with gossip about other candidates. I did not allow pulling up any one's signs we had respect for Candidates and their property. We would laugh with other campaign workers offer soda ,water or what ever to help if they had a problem and etc. Never in my life have I seen anything like what is going on now.
When you leave a forum some of your opponents will not speak to you. If you correct something they say it's taken personnel. These are grown adults. I have never see Adults who embellish their credentials and claim retirement when in fact they were not reappointed.
People calling one campaign office to another asking questions, telling lies and all sorts of things.
If these people do this now what on earth will they do if elected? The Black Leadership is in big trouble in Dallas and do I know why. I have been busy minding my own business , at DHA and working this council campaign and my community has been going to hell. There is no trust, people afraid to give you money or use their name for fear of reprisal from certain Elected Officials who support your opponent. But after the election will want all kinds of favors.

I knew when I stood on issues and with different people who have had troubles in the past . I was risking a lot. Many times it was employment but I stood anyway because it was the right thing to do. I put my employment and life on the line many time for causes that helped people and the Community. I am not sorry about any of it but to experience what I am today and see what people are willing to do for a council seat is just unreal. It has nothing to do with helping people it's all about themselves. How could a person decide they would run for public office 25
years ago and not know what the needs would be nor specify what office. It was about what they wanted for themselves not about the people they would serve. Then you have Candidates who have no record of Public Service so they run on other peoples service record and add their names on their support list. I am so happy to have a service track record of my own that my name stands for it's self.
I can stand on my own name. Every place that I have served my record speaks for itself. How Happy I am today that I have a volunteer community service record that voters can be proud of!

No comments: