Thursday, April 26, 2007

DMN Editorial Board


There was a time I had the utmost respect for the United States Supreme Court . In my mind they were the last honest branch of Government that the people could depend on. During the real Civil Rights movement I also believed that the FBI was the only law enforcement branch that I could trust. Living for 65 years, I have come to learn by the action of the above groups that they are all political and their Actions are some times driven by Politicians. I was a firm believer in the Media being non bias. One day, my husband told me I watched to much TV and that television sent silent messages through different programing. I did not believe him, how could have I could have sat there and miss the message. I did not want to believe he was that smart. Oh, how hard it was for me to realize that he was telling the whole truth. Print Media is about shaping opinions and so is television. I knew commercials were about buying and selling.

I was one of the people who also believed that Editorial Opinions were based on "fact" and the very best of Editorial staff members, sat around and made thought provoking statements to arrive at conclusions. Well, much to my surprise, I now know that the Editorial Board of the Dallas Morning News can be as Political as my opponent's supporters. Don't get me wrong, I never expected to get their endorsement, because of the "heavy hitters" supporting one of my opponents. I did however, expect to have a fair hearing and analysis from their Editorial staff. To write, that I am the leader of the Dallas Housing Authority, which by the way, was in turmoil before my arrival and is now at peace, then state in the very next sentence that "I have a "divisive and abrasive" nature and would be a poor fit for 15 member council" confirms belief about print media. I have no problem with them writing that I am "abrasive" because most men consider out spoken and direct women to be very "abrasive." But divisive! When and Where?

Does the Editorial Board know how many members are on the Plan Commission and that I Chaired it twice, as well as the DFW Airport Board, Parkland Hospital Board, Southwestern Transplant Board, North Texas Health Facilities Corp. and many others and have never been accused of being "divisive." The Editorial Board may need to define what divisive means. I can count and have never divided anyone or thing. Passed some zoning cases, that had been around for years, got tax for DFW owner cities after 25 years of not getting them at all. So many success stories to many to mention! I could not let this one pass, "abrasive nature" maybe, but DIVISIVE NO WAY!

No comments: